James Davenport is a managing principal in JT Stratford’s Winston-Salem, North Carolina, office. He has been employed in the financial services industry since 1987 and has focused his efforts – and his education – on providing comprehensive financial planning, on a fee basis, to his clients. He is an active portfolio manager for individual investor’s accounts, and he has become a specialist in the area of alternative investments.
James is also an insurance specialist focusing on the areas of life insurance, long-term care insurance and disability Insurance. In addition, he actively helps companies manage their retirement plans, and prides himself on providing extensive education to the participants and hands-on support to the plan sponsors.
James has built his practice on several fundamental principles:
- The client’s goals and objectives, time horizon and risk tolerance must be reviewed and discussed when making any type of financial decision.
- Any advice provided is always focused on doing what is in the client’s best interest.
- Utilizing good “common sense” is the number one objective when developing any recommendation for meeting client goals and objectives.
- Education is essential in any advisor-client relationship. With the proper amount of discussion and client education, most individuals can feel good about making sound financial decisions. Being educated and understanding the pertinent facts about any financial decision is critical to making the right financial decisions! If you can’t get your arms around a concept, procedure or financial product – walk away from it! James is determined to make certain that his clients feel comfortable with any financial decisions they make.
- Ongoing communication and face-to-face meetings are necessary for maintaining a healthy and productive advisor-client relationship. James believes in communicating with his clients on a regular basis and is committed to meeting with his clients, face-to-face – at least on an annual basis. This type of advisor-client relationship helps ensure that everyone is “on the same page” and focused on meeting the clients’ goals and objectives.
James was a partner in Colhoun, Robins, Davenport from 1997 until the recent merger with JT Stratford. He has been married for 30 years to his beautiful wife and has two wonderful adult children.